Mod 2 Intermission Work
- Understand basic HTML elements and attributes
- Understand basic CSS styling
- Create a static webpage using HTML/CSS
- Understand what a relational database is
- Interact with a relational database by writing SQL
- Explore the basics of Web Development
- Understand and Implement CRUD functionality
- Understand and implement the MVC design pattern
- Begin learning the conventions of a Rails app
First, create a new Gist on Github. Copy and paste the markdown from this template into your gist.
This Gist will be your submission for your intermission work. Each of the assignments includes a Check for Understanding that you must complete in your Gist. Some of the assignments will also ask you to include a link to a GitHub repo.
Deliverables are due 5:00 pm the Saturday before the module begins. Prework must be completed in its entirety in order to be successful in Mod 2.
Work on the following assignments in order. Each assignment will assume that you have completed the previous one and the accompanying Checks for Understanding. Ruby 3.1.1 and Rails 7.0.4.x are required.
Time-box recommendations are in each section’s instructions, and also included here for convenience.
- Ruby and Rails versions installation guide
- Get Module 2 Tools
- Styling (4 hrs total)
- Intro to SQL (6 hrs total, 2 hrs each section)
- Rails Tutorial: Task Manager (Until complete)
If you are Repeating
Do a modified version of the assignments above:
- Complete a timed Static Challenge (2 hrs)
- If you did Challenge 1 the first time, do Challenge 2, and vice versa.
- As you work, reference the W3Schools HTML5 Tutorial and W3Schools CSS Tutorial
- Intro to SQL (3-4 hrs total, 1 hr each section)
- You can skip the Jumpstart Lab tutorial if you like. You can use the Checks for Understanding as a gauge of whether you need to review it or not.
- Work on the SQL exercises. Spend at least 1 hour in all three sections.
- Complete the Checks for Understanding
- Task Manager
- Review your code. If you do not have a copy, use the completed repo linked at the bottom of the README.
- Answer the Checks for Understanding at the end of the README.
When you are finished, fill out this form.